Saturday, January 9, 2010

And Still We Rise Assignment # 2

After reading this book review, what do you think your experience reading this book is going to be like? Do you tend to look at book reviews before you purchase a book? Do you use book reviews to influence your book purchases? Are you more apt to listen to a friend who recommends a book to you? Your response should be at least 250 words.

Personally, I am not a big fan of book reviews. I have the embarrassing tendency of disregarding everyone's opinion but my own. In most cases, I do the tabboo "judging a book by its cover, " however, occaisionally book reviews do have a point.
Although I don't trust the strangers on Amazons opinions about books, I do trust in my friends suggestions. I am always willing to try a book suggested to me, I believe in giving it the benefit of the doubt. This book review on "And Still We Rise" was probably one of the best book reviews I have read. Normally they just ramble on about things they don't understand, but this review was well written. If I had read this review prior to reading the book, I would probably have purchased the book myself. A well written book review can often be the factor in choosing to purchase a book or not, and yet I tend to limit myself by disregarding all book reviews unless strongly recommended by a friend.
And still we Rise was not a book that I would normally choose to read. I wouldn't have accessed it at all if it hadn't been for this class. Based on the review however, it is clear that I have the great promise of enjoying it. Few authors are able to really make the reader understand how real the characters are. Based on the review, it is clear that the author of And Still We Rise does accomplish that. It is a difficult thing to do, but he did it. This review has truly persuaded me. I only wish that I had read it sooner so that I could have started the book sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment